"Professional fundraiser" means a person who, for financial compensation or profit, performs for a charitable organization a service in connection with which contributions are, or will be, solicited in this state by the compensated person or by a compensated person the person employs, procures, or engages to solicit; or a person who for compensation or profit plans, manages, advises, consults, or prepares material for, or with respect to, the solicitation in this state of contributions for a charitable organization. A bona fide full-time salaried officer or employee of a charitable organization maintaining a permanent establishment within the state may not be deemed to be a professional fundraiser.
An attorney, investment counselor, or banker who advises any person to make a contribution to a charitable organization may not be deemed, as the result of that advice, to be a professional fundraiser.
How to Become a Registered Professional Fundraiser
In order to register the following must be completed:
- The applicant must have its entity registered with the Secretary of State.
- The Professional Fundraiser Application (SFN 11303)
- A Uniform Professional Fundraiser Surety Bond (SFN 53974) in which the professional fundraiser is the principal obligor. The bond must be in the sum of twenty thousand dollars, with one or more responsible sureties whose liability in the aggregate as the sureties will at least equal that sum. In order to maintain the registration, the bond must be in effect for the full term of the registration. The bond, which may be in the form of a rider to a larger blanket liability bond, must run to the state and to any person who may have a cause of action against the principal obligor of the bond for any liabilities resulting from the obligor’s conduct.
- The appropriate filing fee of $100.00 made payable to the Secretary of State. Visa, MasterCard and Discover are also accepted.
The registration of a professional fundraiser grants the right to solicit funds within the state for charitable organizations until September first of that year.
- Professional Fundraiser Fees - $100
- Professional Fundraiser Registration (SFN 11303)
- Uniform Professional Fundraiser Surety Bond (SFN 53974)
How to Begin & Maintain a Charitable Organization in North DakotaIncludes information for professional fundraisers