How to Become a Licensed Contractor

To process a contractor's license, the following needs to be completed and submitted to the Secretary of State's office.  Please allow adequate time for processing as the requirements arrive from several agencies.

  1. If a sole proprietor or partnership is applying for the license, the applicant must have their business name registered with the Secretary of State. Any other entity applying for a license must be registered with the Secretary of State. Click here to learn about business name and entity registrations.
  2. Contractor License Application in the exact name that your business name will be registered in North Dakota. The application will require the applicant to sign under oath a statement of the applicant's experience and qualifications as a contractor.
  3. A certificate of insurance, in the exact name that the business is registered, indicating liability coverage as proof that the applicant has secured liability insurance. The certificate should list the North Dakota Secretary of State, 600 E Blvd. Ave. Dept 108, Bismarck, ND 58505 as certificate holder.
  4. A statement from Workforce Safety & Insurance (WSI) indicating the contractor is in good standing with WSI.
    For details, contact:
    Workforce Safety & Insurance customer service at (701) 328-3800 or (800) 777-5033
  5. The appropriate filing fee made payable to the Secretary of State. Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are also accepted.
    License Fees
    Class Contract Amount Fee
    Class A Over $500,000 per job $450
    Class B Up to $500,000 per job $300
    Class C Up to $300,000 per job $225
    Class D Up to $100,000 per job $100
  6. In addition to a contractor's license, you may need to obtain other licenses or permits as required by law. For example, licenses issued by the State Electrical Board, PO Box 7335, Bismarck ND 58507 (701) 328-9522, State Plumbing Board, 1110 College Drive, Suite 210, Bismarck ND 58501 (701) 328-9977, an Asbestos Abatement License issued by the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality, or a Transient Merchant License issued by the Attorney General.