How to Become a Lobbyist
The lobbyist registration period commences on July 1 and expires on June 30 of the following calendar year unless an earlier expiration date is requested by the registrant.
To process a lobbyist registration the following must be submitted to the Secretary of State's office:
- A Lobbyist Registration (SFN 11106) which requires:
- Registrant's full name;
- Business address;
- The name and address of the person or persons upon whose behalf the registrant appears;
- All persons, corporations, or organizations in whose interest the registrant appears or works;
- The duration of such employment or appearance; and
- By whom the registrant is paid or is to be paid.
- A written authorization to act as a lobbyist (Lobbyist Authorization (SFN 60866) may be used). Such authorization must be signed by the persons or official of the corporation, limited liability company, association, group, or organization employing such lobbyist and may be filed by facsimile transmission to 701-328-1690.
- The appropriate filing fee of $25.00, made payable to the Secretary of State, for registering each lobbyist and the first person or entity represented by the lobbyist. An additional fee of $15.00 for each subsequent person or entity represented. Visa, MasterCard and Discover are also accepted (SFN 51478).
Once the above requirements are submitted to the Secretary of State, a certificate of registration and a distinctive lobbyist identification badge will be issued to the lobbyist. The badge must be prominently worn by the lobbyist when engaged in any lobbyist activities. In lieu of wearing the official badge provided by the Secretary of State, a lobbyist may wear a reasonable reproduction of the official badge that contains the name of the lobbyist and any of the following:
- The word "lobbyist," and
- The registration number of the lobbyist or the organization name of the lobbyist in characters no smaller than one-quarter inches (6.35 millimeters).