How to Renew a Contractor's License
The application for a certificate of renewal must be submitted to the Secretary of State on or before March 1 of each year. In order to obtain a certificate of renewal, the following must be completed.
- File with the Secretary of State a Contractor License Renewal, which includes:
- A listing of each project, contract, or subcontract completed by the licensee during the preceding calendar year in North Dakota over the amount of $25,000 per job;
- The nature of the work of each project, contract, or subcontract; and
- A certification that the applicant has submitted all payroll taxes including North Dakota income tax, workers' compensation premiums, and unemployment insurance premiums due at the time of renewal.
- A certificate of insurance indicating liability coverage as proof that the applicant has secured liability insurance.
- The appropriate filing fee made payable to the Secretary of State. Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are also accepted.
Renewal Fees Class Contract Amount Renewal Fee Class A Over $500,000 per job $90 Class B Up to $500,000 per job $60 Class C Up to $300,000 per job $45 Class D Up to $100,000 per job $30
If the license renewal application is filed after the deadline of March 1, state law requires the payment of a penalty fee. This penalty fee must be submitted along with the requirements listed above.
|Class||Contract Amount||Penalty Fee||Total Due After March 1|
|Class A||Over $500,000 per job||$50||$140|
|Class B||Up to $500,000 per job||$50||$110|
|Class C||Up to $300,000 per job||$50||$95|
|Class D||Up to $100,000 per job||$50||$80|