Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC)
A professional limited liability company, as the name implies, is a limited liability company made up exclusively of licensed professionals. Licensed professionals are those people who have been legally authorized to provide a professional service to the public that requires a license prior to rendering the service.
A professional limited liability company may render:
- One specific type of professional service and services ancillary thereto, or
- Two or more kinds of professional services that are specifically authorized to be practiced in combination under North Dakota's licensing laws of each of the professional services to be rendered.
A professional limited liability company is created, and otherwise operates and is treated, in the same manner as a general business limited liability company. However, at the time of filing the articles of organization with the Secretary of State, the professional limited liability company must also provide certification from the respective licensing board evidencing licensure of all members. See Limited Liability Company.
A limited liability company using a trade name in the transaction of business must file a Trade Name Registration with the Secretary of State. A trade name is a name other than the limited liability company name.
The registration of the Trade Name Registration:
- Affords exclusive right to that name in the State of North Dakota. No other business may file a name with the Secretary of State that is the same as, or deceptively similar, to any registered name.
- Establishes a public record from which the name of the professional limited liability company using the name can be identified.
Foreign Professional Limited Liability Company
A foreign professional limited liability company is one that has filed articles of organization under laws other than the laws of North Dakota. "Foreign" refers to limited liability companies organized in jurisdictions out-of-state as well as out-of-country.
A foreign professional liability company must obtain a certificate of authority from the Secretary of State:
- To provide professional services in North Dakota, or
- To obtain any license or permit issued according to North Dakota laws.
At the time of registration with the Secretary of State, the professional limited liability company must also provide certification from the respective licensing board evidencing licensure of all members practicing in North Dakota.
A foreign professional limited liability company using a name other than its limited liability company name must comply with the Trade Name Registration requirement as described above.