The Secretary of State provides certificates of good standing on corporations and limited liability companies. The Secretary of State can only issue a certificate of fact that an unincorporated nonprofit organization has a trade name registered with the Secretary of State. The certificate cannot make reference to "good standing" or verify existence of the entity. The certificate is available with payment by check, money order, credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or Discover), or pre-authorized credit. The request can be made by:

  • Calling 701-328-4284 or 800-352-0867 (Ext. 328-4284)
  • Fax at 701-328-2992 addressed to the Business Division
  • Email to sosbir@nd.gov
  • Mail addressed to: Business Division
    Secretary of State
    600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 108
    Bismarck ND 58505-0500

Since the officers of an unincorporated nonprofit organization are not filed with the Secretary of State, the information must be obtained from the organization.

Individuals must research this question on their own and should consult an attorney and/or tax professional in making the decision. There are many factors to consider including but not limited to:

  • Tax issues;
  • Liability issues;
  • Access to public or private grant money;
  • Donations with tax-deductible status; and
  • Special postage rates.

If a decision is made to incorporate, contact the Secretary of State for forms and procedural information.

No. A nonprofit organization must apply to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax-exempt status. Visit the Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits section of the IRS website for more information.